What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:Markel Corporation, a Fortune 500 Company, is seeking a Manager for Claims Compliance Advice in the Richmond, VA office. Remote locations will be considered. This position will be responsible for managing a team of Claims Compliance advice professionals possessing varied experience levels. This position will oversee compliance activities with low to high complexity and provide direction, coaching, and training. This position will report to the Senior Director of Claims Compliance and be responsible for conveying the organization’s objectives and priorities to staff and measure progress towards stated goals.
Note: Remote/single office opportunity would be considered should the candidate meet ideal requirements below.
- Develop, direct, prepare and deliver compliance advice or other compliance assignments and projects
- Oversee regulatory advice and program design for Medicare/Medicaid, licensing, market conduct examinations, vendor oversight
- Oversee contract negotiation, advice and drafting for Claims, including claims service agreements with third-party administrators, independent adjusters, and other vendors
- Review and approve correspondence and reports
- Assess and evaluate individual compliance advice professional and team performance, provide feedback and develop training needs
- Assist in preparation of budgets, evaluation of expenses and assess resource needs
- Foster and encourage strong relationships with internal stakeholders (Claims, Legal, Regulatory and Compliance, PLL, Actuarial)
- Promote and enhance strong relationships with customers and channel partners
- Lead departmental and organizational projects
- Broad regulatory and contract advice experience required
- Broad experience across multiple Claims lines of business (including Workers’ Compensation, Casualty/GL, Property/Marine and Professional Liability) required
- Minimum of 10 years of Claims experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with P&C insurance Medicare/Medicaid compliance (including Section 111 reporting, lien negotiation and MSAs) required
- Experience with contract negotiation and drafting required
- Experience with broader Claims compliance obligations (including Fair Claims handling acts and adjuster licensing) strongly preferred
- Experience developing and delivering training required
- Experience with project/program management preferred
- Experience with GuideWire’s Claim Center preferred
- Prior management experience required
Skill Sets Needed
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong desire for continuous improvement
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Ability to deliver outstanding customer service
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Sharepoint, Outlook, Power Point, Word)
- Comfortable working in a virtual team
- Bachelor’s degree required
- JD strongly preferred
- RN or other medical degree preferred
- Successful achievement of industry designations (CPCU, ACP, ARC, CCP, MCM, AIE, CIE)
- I-Lead or other Management Training
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.