It wasn’t so long ago that booking a trip so see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York’s iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that’s what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we’re busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet’s beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Do you want to build software that impacts millions of customers around the world, tackling some of the world's most complex ecommerce challenges? We are looking for talented engineers to join our Core Infrastructure team in Seattle, WA USA.
In Core Infrastructure we design, build and operate all the technology that our Booking.com product development teams need in order to deliver great travel products to our customers.
We are looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our Core Infrastructure team at our Seattle office. As a member of the Fleet Management team within Core Infra, you will be given the freedom to make meaningful and measurable improvements impacting millions of people. This is a unique chance to shape our infrastructure for the foreseeable future as you will be responsible for our fleet visibility via osquery, and remote execution via Ansible infrastructure. The larger Fleet Management team also is responsible for important areas related to patching compliance, and a subset of critical core system services that Booking.com relies on every minute of the day.
- Design, develop and implement software that improves the stability, scalability, availability and latency of the Booking.com products;
- Take ownership of one or more services and have the freedom to do what is best for our business and customers;
- Solve problems occurring with our highly available production systems and build solutions and automation to prevent them from happening again;
- Build effective monitoring to monitor the health of your system, and jump in to handle outages;
- Build and run capacity tests to manage the growth of your systems;
- Plan for reliability by designing systems to work across our multinational data centers;
- Develop tools to assist the product development teams with successfully deploying 1000s of change sets every day;
- Be an advocate of engineering best practices;
- Share the on-call rotation and be an escalation contact for incidents:
- Contribute to Booking.com's growth through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- Mastery in at least one programming language: Perl, Java and Go are a plus;
- Experience with building, operating and maintaining complex and scalable systems;
- Solid understanding of Software Engineering and Computer Science principles;
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code technologies such as Terraform, Ansible, or Pulumi;
- Knowledge of cloud computing fundamentals;
- Solid foundation in Linux administration and troubleshooting;
- Proven experience with automation.
- Additional experience in Networking, Security or Storage is a plus;
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as OpenStack is a plus
- Be able to understand and formulate meaningful business metrics;
- Creative and not afraid to step outside of your comfort zone;
- Fluent in the English language, both spoken and written.
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.