At Hawaiian Airlines, we are all about welcoming our guests with Hawaiian hospitality and aloha, and taking care of our people, our home and the communities we serve. Join our ‘ohana and be a part of an exciting team of professionals dedicated to serving our kama‘āina and introducing our islands to the world!
The Case Manager directly oversees and maintains the leave of absence (LOA) program which includes processes such as FMLA, ADA, HIPAA, Temporary Disability Insurance (TDI) and Long Term Disability (LTD) while ensuring compliance with all State and Federal laws. Serves as a liaison on all matters involving absence and leave management programs and provides subject matter expertise on leave administration to not only Leave team members but also to Management and across the greater HR team. Leverages experience and industry knowledge to work collaboratively with our third-party Administrator, expertly manage multiple projects and execute process improvement initiatives. This position reports to the Director, Leave Management.
- Ensure compliance with policy/provisions according to state and federal regulations while taking into consideration the provision of the various collective bargaining agreements
- Assume leadership role within the Leave Management team to support consistent deliver of high-level service and appropriate application of policies
- Responsible for oversight of absence claim management and communication with employees, managers and Third-Party Administrators (TPA)
- Identify and develop solutions to address issues and trends in employee absences; develop and strengthen communication with departmental absence support teams and front-line management
- Independently reviews complex leave cases and validates whether they should be approved and/or denied based on relevant medical information
- Serves as an expert resource on case management, requirements, SOP and leave program which includes new initiatives and projects under the general direction and guidance of HR leadership and consultation from the Law department
- Works closely with all levels of management, employee relations and labor relations as it pertains to leave management matters
- Serves as primary point of escalation to resolve employee case issues which include partnering with internal departments and/or TPA employees
- Provide reporting and analysis of leave-based concerns for Sr. Leadership including measurement of success through key-performance indicators
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information; ensures compliance with HIPAA
- Provides comprehensive performance management of Leave Specialists and Administrators by actively providing guidance, direction, mentorship and coaching to shape and hone daily operations and beyond
- Participates in special projects, audits, hearings/depositions and other duties as needed
- 5+ years of progressive experience in managing leave cases
- Organized, detail oriented and able to manage multiple priorities
- Proven ability to handle fast-paced environment and multiple priorities
- Must be able to regularly exercise discretion, handle conflict and be firm when required
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with third party service providers and all levels of employees
- Must be willing to travel occasionally and work beyond standard office hours, including holidays and weekends
**All applicants are advised that post-offer and/or pre-employment drug testing will be conducted, and they must successfully pass the drug test. Failure to submit to testing or positive indications of drug use will render the applicant ineligible for employment with Hawaiian Airlines and any employment offer will be withdrawn.
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or a related field
- Demonstrated team lead, project lead or sponsorship experience (direct supervision most preferrable)
- Experience working in a unionized environment
- PHR or SPHR certification
- Experience in implementing leave management programs that include, but are not limited to: USERRA, absence management and PTO management
- Experience in defining and implementing detailed leave management business processes
About Hawaiian Airlines
Hawaiian® has led all U.S. carriers in on-time performance for each of the past 17 years (2004-2020) as reported by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Consumer surveys by Condé Nast Traveler, Travel + Leisure and TripAdvisor have placed Hawaiian among the top of all domestic airlines serving Hawai‘i.
Now in its 92nd year of continuous service, Hawaiian is Hawai‘i's biggest and longest-serving airline. Hawaiian offers nonstop flights within the Hawaiian Islands, between Hawai‘i and more U.S. gateway cities (16) than any other airline, as well as service connecting the islands with Japan and South Korea. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, Hawaiian has temporarily suspended service in Australia, New Zealand, American Samoa and Tahiti.
The airline is committed to the health and safety of its guests and employees and has reinforced enhanced cleaning procedures across its business. While the experience may be a little different, the authentic Hawaiian hospitality remains unchanged. Additional details on how Hawaiian is keeping guests and employees safe can be found at HawaiianAirlines.com/KeepingYouSafe.
Hawaiian Airlines, Inc. is a subsidiary of Hawaiian Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: HA). Additional information is available at HawaiianAirlines.com. Follow Hawaiian’s Twitter updates (@HawaiianAir), become a fan on Facebook (Hawaiian Airlines), and follow us on Instagram (hawaiianairlines). For career postings and updates, follow Hawaiian’s LinkedIn page.
For media inquiries, please visit Hawaiian Airlines’ online newsroom.