What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:Markel is currently seeking a highly innovative and experienced Casualty Facultative Underwriting professional to underwrite casualty facultative reinsurance. The incumbent will work with our Managing Director and underwriters to develop a strategy for the product line to include underwriting of professional liability business, and work to integrate that plan into our reinsurance underwriting and marketing strategy. The individual will underwrite all lines of casualty facultative reinsurance within approved underwriting guidelines to include reviewing, analyzing, accepting, and declining risks to ensure profitability for Markel.
- Collaborate with casualty facultative reinsurance underwriters on accounts, current and proposed producers, and make recommendations concerning operations, systems and procedures.
- Develop underwriting parameters and a marketing plan for casualty facultative professional liability business, and provide training for the development of a portfolio of casualty facultative professional liability business.
- Underwrite and select new risk business that will likely produce an underwriting profit.
- Review individual risk submissions, identify exposure and risk from information provided, review terms, conditions and pricing.
- Underwrite renewal individual risk and business, handle related servicing, and implement corrective measures on renewal accounts as needed.
- Market Markel’s capabilities in the casualty facultative reinsurance space to broker and prospects via broker calls and attendance at various industry conferences that best serve casualty facultative marketing needs.
- Provide training or technical assistance to department underwriting staff.
- Monitor casualty facultative lines of business, ceding companies, and producers for profitability and production.
- Minimum 10 + years current casualty facultative reinsurance underwriting expertise to include professional liability underwriting experience.
- Current expertise in sophisticated, complex casualty facultative reinsurance underwriting, including reinsurance contracts knowledge.
- Proven technical knowledge and skills reflective of progression of positions of growing responsibility.
- Demonstrated market knowledge in the casualty facultative reinsurance space including reinsurance intermediaries and insurance company underwriting management.
- Four year college degree, CPCU and/or ARe or similar designation preferred.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Intermediate Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Must be a high-energy, positive, teammate that can thrive in a flexible, spontaneous and entrepreneurial environment.
- Up to 25% domestic travel.
- Ability to work in Glen Allen, VA or Summit NJ office.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.