First Mode draws on the exceptional talent and creativity of its multidisciplinary team to solve the toughest problems on and off the planet. We help companies, governments, and individuals from the earliest stages of problem definition to prototype creation and demonstration. A continual desire to discover and invent has led our team to drill into the unknown surface of Mars, electrify large industrial equipment, and apply remote sensing technologies to water conservation.
While each project is unique, we typically meld together robotics, automation, systems engineering, modeling and simulation, and advanced fabrication to create a new future across many industries. If you have exceptional talent and a vision for the future, we want to talk.
The Internal Communications Manager is the eyes, ears, and voice of the organization. They’re responsible for correspondence between employees across various departments and the company’s management. This person is responsible for helping connect employees with the right information and keeping First Mode authentic, transparent, and engaged.
As First Mode’s first Internal Communications Manager, you’ll be working to help employees across the organization stay up to date about the company’s vision, goals, and projects by leading strategic internal communications programs. You will work across global teams including Marketing, People, Projects, Business Development, and Engineering to support the brand mission. The ideal candidate will be a skilled storyteller with a knack for interpersonal skills and developing consistent communication channels. We need all of First Mode to be aligned, informed, and engaged. That’s where you come in.
- Develop and execute a strategic internal communications plan to connect, inform, and inspire employees at every level to the company’s mission, strategic priorities, and values.
- Produce employee communications: Collaborate with others to develop a variety of internal communications including monthly newsletters, presentations, announcements, and blogs to be delivered across a variety of communications channels.
- Develop innovative ways of engaging our employees through content, internal business events and technologies like the intranet and Slack.
- Create and manage the company’s internal communications channels: Maintain the editorial calendar, research and develop quotes from people, write stories, shoot videos, and contribute to the Intranet.
- Work closely with senior leadership while demonstrating professionalism and trustworthiness, with an understanding of how to appropriately communicate and convey a wide array of critical topics.
- Partner closely with Marketing and People teams on company-wide communications, such as company milestones, financial results, project and people announcements, and company-wide initiatives.
- Support leadership and company meetings: You will help craft the messaging and program through agenda, speaker selection, and logistics.
- Sometimes you’ll be the visionary, sometimes you’ll provide the first draft. You’ll always have the support of your fellow team members!
- 5+ years of experience writing in a corporate environment.
- Proven experience managing a variety of corporate communications channels, including corporate intranets, email, and internal social media channels.
- 10 years of experience writing in a corporate environment.
- Strong communicator: You can discover, write and tailor content for specific audiences that demonstrates a deep understanding of messaging, positioning and stakeholder needs. Personality in your writing (and you’re not afraid to show it).
- Comfortable with communication technology: You’re comfortable learning new programs easily to enhance company-wide communication.
- Effective communicator: Proven experience working closely with senior leadership and cross-communication with stakeholders of all internal organizations.
- Organized and creative: With news constantly changing, you’re able to adapt and change directions in an instant. You’re comfortable working at a face pace and are able to meet deadlines.
- International experience: you can successfully engage and coordinate across multiple locations, subsidiaries, and time zones.
- Strong planning skills: You know how to manage complex projects, multiple stakeholders and competing priorities to create an actionable plan and get the most impactful work done. You build the feedback loops that will make your plan a success: determining and informing the right stakeholders, gaining their buy-in and keeping them informed.
- Naturally Curious: Your approach to finding out internal information and updates is like that of a reporter, you take initiative in investigating what the company is up to and can formulate stories that will translate across all audiences within the company.
- Must be able to travel between First Mode USA sites with potential to travel to other locations
- Able to assist with set up/tear down of marketing events alongside the facilities team
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Notice to First Mode job applicants: First Mode will never ask you to pay money or provide sensitive personal data to process a job application. If someone representing themselves as being associated with First Mode asks for any personal information as part of an application process, please report this immediately to IT.Sec@firstmode.com