ABOUT THE JOB
The Principal Software Engineer oversees the Web Application Team and serves as an advanced technical contributor to engineering projects. This position is responsible for the web application user interface, web security, search, REST services, messaging, and database model components of FMI’s Computational Biology ecosystem.
As a member of our Computational Biology team, you will drive FMI’s transformation in cancer care by working with a diverse team of software engineers and computational biologists to build products focused on genetic alterations and biomarkers in DNA and RNA.
- Create, design and support custom applications that integrate seamlessly with other business applications (such as Customer Relationship Management, Medical Reporting, Billing, Laboratory Information Management Systems).
- Capture requirements and business needs from end users, then develop formal technical specifications and solutions that address identified areas.
- Research key technologies and partner in driving business transformation through the adoption and implementation of these key technologies.
- Develop best practices and technology standards and help drive implementation and adherence throughout the development team.
- Help define and participate in software development processes that leverages best practice and supports continuous product delivery.
- Assist in the management of a dynamic software engineer team to help drive sound engineering design, process, quality practices and to perform acceptance engineering.
- Manage direct reports and provide guidance, training and development, evaluation and hiring as needed, as well as mentor junior software engineering and development team members by answering questions and establishing best coding and engineering practices.
- Work closely with product owners, key business and technical stakeholders to ensure FMI is building the best products.
- Ensure the maintainability and quality of the product code base by helping establish clear technical roadmaps geared toward reducing future technical debt.
- Evaluate new technologies and software products to determine feasibility and desirability of incorporating capabilities into the platform.
- Maintain an Agile and scrum environment to deliver new innovative products.
- Participate in and conduct regular peer design, code reviews, knowledge sharing sessions, and Scrum ceremonies.
- Complete design, development, unit testing, code reviews, and development of technical documentation.
- Generate code that is reusable, testable, efficient, clean, and well commented.
- Provide individual hands-on developer contributions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related engineering field.
- 8+ years of technical experience in software engineering.
- 1+ year(s) of experience managing direct reports.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or a related engineering field.
- 10+ years of technical experience in all aspects of software engineering.
- 3+ years leading a technical team of full stack engineers and developing multi-tier web applications.
- 3+ years of academic or professional experience with:
- Relational databases, Structured Query Language (SQL), Object-Relational Mapping (ORM), and query tuning.
- At least one unit testing framework.
- Unix or Unix-like operating systems.
- Track record of creating, leading and managing high performing engineering teams.
- Experience capturing requirements from end users and developing formal technical specifications.
- Prior work experience or familiarity with compliance in regulated development environments, including compliance to regulations established by the Food and Drug Administration and the United States Department of Agriculture.
- Deep knowledge of the following:
- RESTFul API development.
- Cloud Formation.
- HTTPS / security.
- Agile development practices.
- Familiarity with HTTP web services and Git version control system.
- Familiarity with molecular biology and genomics.
- Demonstrated history of:
- meeting project deadlines.
- working in a dynamic, fast paced team environment.
- working well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives.
- maintaining one’s own workflow.
- Excellent organization and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills in collaboration and problem solving.
- Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy.
- Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: Patients, Passion, Collaboration, and Innovation.